Interesting idea, but will it sell?

29 September 2009 |

Here's an untapped market you don't hear much about: testosterone replacement therapy. There are lots of men out there who suffer from low testosterone, either without a known cause or stemming from trauma or therapies like those used to treat certain types of cancer. Testosterone replacement comes in a variety of flavors from gels to patches to injections. The problem is that the medication is absorbed slowly through the skin when delivered via patch or gel and, especially with gels, are slimy and slow drying. Many men with whom I have spoken feel that the topical or transdermal treatments don't work that well and are not worth the cost or effort. Injections may have better results, but now we're talking about patients receiving doses of testosterons at varying frequencies and last time I checked, few people like shots.

Enter Acrux. They claim to have developed a potential solution to both issues (sort of): a testosterone spray delivered in the armpits (weird right?) that shows more than modest success in late clinical testing. The spray is supposed to be pleasant smelling, fast absorbing, and would be delivered in a non socially obtrusive fashion (under the arms), which would provide benefits over the current topical therapies. But, before you go and snatch up all the Acrux stock (listed on the Australian stock exchange if you're interested), be aware that this is a market with several players who have been in the game for some time. Also, I don't know about most patients, but I would rather rub a gel on my shoulder or wear a patch then spray a solution in my armpits even if the spray comes from an ergonomic applicator. Seems like a good idea, but I'm not sold on it quite yet...if this solution is that potent, certainly a more effective (and less unusual) delivery method can be developed.

Read for yourself here

0 comments:

Post a Comment