NeurogesX announced today that it received the green light from the FDA to market (the company's first approval) Qutenza for the treatment of pain associated with shingles. Qutenza is a patch that is intended to provide up to 3 months of pain relief using prescription strength capsaicin delivered through the skin. This chemical has been available in creams, but I like NeurogesX's use of capsaicin in this case as a novel, pain therapy that is likely to be quite effective with no potential for abuse.
Looking at NeurogesX's pipeline, Qutenza is being studied for a couple other indications in addition to post herpetic neuralgia. I would be interested in hearing more about their acetaminophen prodrug platform...if it has the same properties as acetaminophen without the hepatotoxicity, then NeurogesX could really have something there. I like the promise their pipeline has and the potential for a buyout or marketing partnerships if Qutenza is successful and their other drugs show promise.
NeurogesX pipeline
Press Release from NeurogesX
If you're interested in some cool new technology that it only scratching the surface of its future potential, check out Isis Pharmaceuticals. Without butchering the scientific development process associated with RNA antisense, Isis reported positive data on its drug to treat familial high cholesterol and this could lead to a much needed new class of medications to treat the condition. Check it out here and jump on board if you like it!
And for those of you interested in the science: here is Isis's page on RNA antisense
Finally, just becauase I haven't posted for a couple days (laid up from knee surgery) doesn't mean I missed the biggest news: Niaspan proved superior to Zetia at unclogging arteries. The results are a big deal and could be a death knell for Zetia/Vytorin.
If you haven't already, read more here for starters
Patchwork..
17 November 2009 |
Posted by
E
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment